HONG KONG: Hutchison Whampoa sells stake in retail division to Temasek
HWL unlocks value of retail arm
Hutchison Whampoa Limited (HWL) has sold a 24.95% stake in its retail division, AS Watson, to Singapore's state investment agency Temasek for HK$44bn (US$5.67bn).
The deal values AS Watson at HK$177bn. The division's interests span the beauty and personal care, food and wine retail sectors. The business operates a number of banners, including ParknShop supermarkets and Watsons beauty stores.
"The transaction will allow HWL to partially unlock the value of AS Watson as well as set an important valuation benchmark for HWL's remaining interests," the company said.
HWL added the investors have agreed to work together towards listing AS Watson "at a suitable time".
"Together with our strategic partner Temasek, HWL will further maximise the value and future growth potential of AS Watson," the company said.
HWL had been considering options for its retail business after backing out of a potential sale of its ParknShop supermarket chain last year. At the time, the company said it planned to exploit growth opportunities in mainland China.
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities