ICELAND: Icelandic Group lands Asgeirsson as CEO
Fish processor Icelandic Group has hired Lárus Ásgeirsson as the new CEO of the company.
The company, which supplies the likes of UK retailers Tesco and Marks and Spencer, yesterday (5 October) named Ásgeirsson, the former CEO of insurance company Sjóvá Almennar insurance company, as its new chief executive.
In February, Icelandic Group's former chief executive and deputy chief executive and CFO tendered their resignations over disagreements about the sale of the company's French and German operations.
A new CFO, Johann Gunnar Johansson, was appointed during the summer and a spokesperson said no decision had been made about the vacant deputy chief executive role.
Ásgeirsson said it was "very exciting" to become Icelandic Group's CEO. "The company holds a very solid market position in the international seafood industry. I look forward to working with the executive team and staff of Icelandic Group to build on the strong foundations of the company," he said.
Herdís Fjeldsted, chairman of the board of Icelandic Group, said Ásgeirsson's "long and extensive" experience will help it move forward, streamline operations, lower its debts and increase profitability.
A potential merger combining Symington's and Premier Foods plc's brands was a hot topic for analyst speculation this week. Elsewhere, Australian wholesaler Metcash CEO Andrew Reitzer remained optimist...
M&A in the UK food sector was again a hot topic this week as news emerged that private equity investors could be preparing to merge Premier Foods' unwanted brands with fellow UK food group Symington's...
- 2017: three major drivers of M&A strategy
- Comment: Premier has more to ponder than Brexit
- The food market in 2017 - consumer trends and M&A
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- Food market in 2017: need-to-know US trends
- Premier Foods issues profit warning
- Nestle mum on Mead Johnson takeover talk
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- Mondelez sells Vegemite to Bega
- Kellogg to slash 250 jobs