NEW ZEALAND: Illegal meat import figures "horrific" says Sutton
Figures released on the amount of illegal meat imports confiscated by quarantine officials were described yesterday as "horrific" by Biosecurity Minister Jim Sutton. Speaking at a meeting of the Meat New Zealand authority in Rotorua, Sutton revealed that airport staff seized 8.5 tonnes of meat and poultry products from people entering the country during he course of 2000. Of this, a third was undeclared goods and the remaining two thirds were smuggled in by people from foot and mouth infected countries.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- 2017 - what will shape the UK food sector?
- Food market in 2017: big foodservice trends
- Could BRF's Turkey move pave way for OneFoods IPO?
- Food market in 2017: need-to-know US trends
- Ferrero insists Nutella not pulled from shelves
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- PepsiCo launches Walkers Mediterranean in UK
- Kellogg names Fareed Khan as incoming CFO
- Mondelez plans "selective" UK price hikes