Imlek's bid to buy Serbian dairy peer Niska Mlekara faces scrutiny
Imlek looking to add to domestic dairy business
Imlek's move to acquire fellow Serbian dairy group Niska Mlekara is to face an investigation from the country's competition watchdog.
The deal would see Imlek buy what Serbia's Commission for Protection of Competition called a "direct competitor".
"After having examined submitted documents, and based on all the facts arising from the content of the notification, [the] Commission has found that by implementation of notified concentration, Imlek would strenghten its position in the market for [the] purchase of raw cow's milk, production and sales of milk and dairy products, since Imlek and Nis Dairy are direct competitors, and that Imlek is the strongest participant in the relevant market," the Commission said.
The anti-trust body is to look into whether the acquisition would "significantly restrict, distort or prevnt competition" in Serbia's dairy sector.
Imlek had not returned a request for comment at the time of publication.
The company is part of Serbia-based dairy and confectionery company Danube Foods Group, which also owns another dairy processor in the country, Mlekara Subotica.
Danube Foods Group is owned by private-equity firm Mid Europa Partners.
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- The promise of fledgling Czech gluten-free market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review