USA: In fourth area, UFCW union leaders block election
For the fourth time, leaders of the United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW) union have blocked or withdrawn an election involving small groups of Wal-Mart associates - suggesting a pattern in which union leaders begin a drive, realize they lack support and then block the election rather than face defeat. The latest such action took place on Tuesday, Oct. 24. Seventeen tire and lube express associates in Kingman, Ariz., were set to cast their votes in an election scheduled for Oct. 27. But UFCW leaders successfully blocked the election just days before the vote with the National Labor Relations Board. "This pattern is becoming all too familiar to us," said Jay Allen, vice president of corporate affairs. "This is the fourth time that UFCW union leaders have backed out of an election when they knew they would lose. Our associates are smart and they have said time and time again that they do not want to be represented by third parties. We wish the UFCW would recognize this and stop wasting everybody's time." The other similar instances occurred in these areas:
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review