USA: In testimony to house of representatives, NFPA strongly opposes"Country of Origin" legislation
In testimony submitted to the U.S. House of Representatives' Subcommittee on Livestock and Horticulture, NFPA urged Congress to reject the mandatory country of origin labeling proposals contained in H.R.1144, the Country of Origin Meat Labeling Act of 1999. The Subcommittee held a hearing on the legislation on September 26."NFPA opposes the legislation's rigid mandatory country of origin labeling requirements," said Kristin Pearson, NFPA's Director of Federal Legislative Affairs. "Such requirements convey no health or safety information to consumers and would do nothing to enhance the safety of the U.S. food supply. Further, country of origin labeling requirements would be too costly to domestic interests, would almost certainly be viewed internationally as a barrier to trade, and may result in retaliatory measures by countries that trade with the United States."In its testimony, NFPA noted that:
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review