SOUTH AFRICA: Incoming Woolworths chairman has other worries
Woolworths Holdings' newly appointed non-executive chairman Derek "Buddy" Hawton' is still fighting a US$75m international court battle which is expected to spill over from New York to London.
Hawton takes over on 22 November 2003 from Colin Hall, who retires after 20 years service at the company's AGM the day before.
The new chairman has a wealth of domestic and international experience in various fields of business, from insurance through to the leisure industry where he is chairman of Kersaf Investments, a hotel and gaming company.
Kersaf is involved in a legal wrangle involving his former partner Sol Kerzner, who now operates Kerzner International, formerly known as Sun International. The dispute over territorial rights after a split in the company which dates back to the late 1990s was dismissed in New York this week, but Kerzner International is set to lodge papers in London.
Companies: Woolworths Ltd
With 76% of Australia's food retail market, just two companies, Woolworths and Coles, dominate the region. In a two-part review, David Robertson looks at both supermarket chains. The first article wil...
Woolworths has termed the company's 22.1% rise in net profit as an excellent achievement on several levels and pointed towards food and liquor as successful revenues. ...
Shares in Woolworths Ltd rose by 3.68% to a value of AUS$17.180 (US$12.94) per share after the company reported first-half sales of AUS$19bn....
Australian grocery retailer Woolworths has reported a 14.4% increase in sales from continuing operations for the first quarter....
Australian grocery retailer Woolworths has reported a 12.2% rise in annual sales to A$31.4bn (US$23.7bn), and said full-year results were "very pleasing" overall....
Supermarket chain Woolworths has today (Friday) announced a sharp rise in sales for the year to 26 June, bolstered by strengthening food and liquor sales and acquisitions....
Supermarket chain Woolworths Ltd has refused to comment on reports that it is considering the sale of its A$1bn (US$753m) chain of national distribution centres, according to the Australian Associated...
Retailer Foodland has announced a delay in documents needed to complete the process of its demerger and sale to Woolworths and Metcash....
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Freedom Foods Group nears M&A in Oz, North America
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Chocolate (Confectionery) Market in Belgium - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020