US: Industry passes pledge on calorie reduction - study
Campbell was among companies that made pledge on calories
Sixteen food manufacturers operating in the US who pledged to cut 1.5 trillion calories from their products by next year have exceeded their target by over four times, an independent study has claimed.
The manufacturers were among a group of over 40 companies that launched the Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation in 2009 to try to tackle obesity. A year later, sixteen of those firms made the pledge on calories.
James Marks, director of the health group at the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, said the reduction had proved "extremely encouraging".
However, Marks said the work to lower calories must continue and called on other companies to join their peers in the effort.
"They must sustain that reduction, as they've pledged to do, and other food companies should follow their lead to give Americans the lower-calorie foods and beverages they want," Marks said.
Nestle (Malaysia) Bhd (NESTLE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled...
Synopsis Canadean's "Nestle SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a...
Nestle SA (NESN) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by GlobalData...
- BRICs and beyond: Fonterra, Beingmate partnership
- On the money: Mengniu hones in on "star" brands
- just-food interview: Agropur CEO Robert Coallier
- Consuming issues: The hunger-obesity paradox
- On the money: Hormel still looking for M&A
- Fonterra, Beingmate launch infant formula JV
- Valio lactose-free trucks stopped at Russia border
- UK firm Pasta Reale enters administration
- H1 profits down at dairy group FrieslandCampina
- Mondelez eyes snacks categories in India