USA: Industry to Weigh in On Standards for Red Raspberries
Major changes are being proposed for the red raspberry industry at a public hearing set for May 10 in Bellingham. Industry representatives are expected to speak in favor of and against establishment of a rule that would create standards for red raspberries sold for processing. The state Department of Agriculture rule hearing will be held at 10 a.m. at the County Council Chamber, Whatcom County Courthouse, 311 Grand Ave., Bellingham. Written comments will be accepted until 5 p.m. May 11. Red raspberries destined for the fresh market would be exempt from adopted rules. The proposed rules were developed at the request of the Washington Red Raspberry Commission. The proposed rule establishes grades and standards for fresh red raspberries used for freezing, puree, juice stock and other uses. In addition, the proposal establishes container marking requirements and specifies how red raspberries may be used and sold. Washington No. 1 processing grade standards for red raspberries, for example, would include requirements for washing, sorting and grading at a licensed food processing facility. Last year, Washington growers produced nearly 35,000 tons of red raspberries on 9,500 acres with a production value of $48 million. Washington is ranked first in the nation for raspberry production with Whatcom and Skagit counties the leading two counties in the state. Comments may be sent to Dannie McQueen, administrative regulations manager, Washington State Department of Agriculture, PO Box 42560, Olympia WA 98504-2560. Comments may also be sent to McQueen by FAX at 360/902-2092 or by e-mail to
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report