BELGIUM: Input costs weigh on PinguinLutosa 2010 profits
- Net profit at EUR2.8m in 2010
- 2009 net profit was EUR10m
- Earnings dented by input costs; sales rose 11%
Raw-material costs hit PinguinLutosa profits despite sales improving
Rising raw-material costs made a dent in the annual profits of Belgium-based vegetable processor PinguinLutosa in 2010, the company has revealed.
PinguinLutosa, which reported its full-year figures yesterday (22 March), said its net profit for 2010 reached EUR2.8m, down sharply from the EUR10m it recorded in 2009.
The company's consolidated sales increased by 10.7% to EUR483.6m as sales within both its divisions - deep-frozen vegetables and potatoes - grew.
However, PinguinLutosa's EBIT more than halved - from EUR15m in 2009 to EUR7.3m in 2010 - amid the rise in raw-material costs. The company, for example, noted that raw-material prices for potatoes were three times higher in December 2010 than a year earlier.
In the last 12 months, PinguinLutosa has struck deals for two acquisitions - the frozen vegetable business of French co-operative CECAB and Belgian canned goods firm Scana Noliko.
The CECAB assets will formally become part of PinguinLutosa's "consolidation scope" from May. The deal to buy Scana Noliko, announced last week, is expected to be sealed by the end of June.
For the full earnings release from PinguinLutosa, click here.
Belgian frozen food group PinguinLutosa has blamed high raw material prices on its disappointing first half results....
Belgium-based frozen foods group PinguinLutosa has shaken up its senior management to a run a business expanded by acquisitions....
- M&A Watch: Raisio should sell to private equity
- Infographic: Snapshot of Japan's food sector
- On the money: Solid Lindt outpaces chocolate peers
- Spotlight: What could be impact of Russia's ban?
- On the money: Hain expects continued organic gains
- Russian government eases ban on food imports
- Pork Farms buys Kerry Group's pastry plants
- Kerry cools claim spreads move could hit jobs
- Profits up at chocolate group Lindt
- Dr Oetker to buy McCain North America pizza arm
- New Strategies for offering Convenience in Food - targeting new occasions, best practice and new solutions
- David Chapman's Ice Cream Ltd in Packaged Food (Canada)
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: Merger and Acquisitions May 2014
- Colombia - ISA Country Report
- Food Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide