FRANCE: Investment lifts Carrefour profits, to up 2014 spending
Carrefour's shares rose in early trading in Paris
Carrefour, the world's second-largest retailer, today (5 March) reported higher 2013 profits as investment helped boost sales in France - with the company pledging to up capital expenditure this year.
The company said its recurring operating income rose 5.3% to EUR2.24bn (US$3.08bn), slightly higher than the consensus forecast of analysts.
On a reported basis, Carrefour's turnover was down 1% at EUR74.89bn, although sales in France were up 0.3% at EUR35.44bn. Like-for-like sales grew across all formats in France, Carrefour said.
On an organic basis, Carrefour's net sales grew 2.3%, with a 1% rise in France contributing to the growth in the top line. Organic sales in the rest of Europe fell 0.3% but rose 2.2% in Asia and by 12.3% in Latin America.
Carrefour said recurring operating income from its French business jumped 30%. The retailer pointed to improved margins thanks to "an improved balance between everyday low prices, promotions and loyalty programs and lower shrinkage".
Reported net income was up 0.1% at EUR1.26bn.
Net income from recurring operations jumped from EUR150m in 2012 to EUR949m in 2013. Financial expenses were lower year-on-year due to a drop in interest expense and lower exceptional items. Income from discontinued operations was also lower.
Carrefour said it would "intensify" its store remodelling programme. It plans to "accelerate" its roll-out of multi-channel operations.
Shares in Carrefour were up 1.11% at EUR26.92 at 09:55 CET.
Click here for a round-up of analyst views on the results.
For the full results statement from Carrefour, click here.
Carrefour SA Carrefour Sabançi Ticaret Merkezi aims to increase its share in Turkey by offering high-quality products at reasonable prices. To this end, the company aims to increase its presence throu...
This is a detailed report covering Carrefour’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in India....
This is a detailed report covering Carrefour’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Brazil....
Synopsis Canadean's "Carrefour S.A. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company ...
This is a detailed report covering Carrefour’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Spain. Introduction and Landscape Why was the repo...
- What Grexit could mean for the food industry
- just-food's pick: Top trends at Fancy Food Show
- Focus: Can General Mills improve US retail sales?
- How Russia's embargo affects domestic firms
- Focus: ConAgra own-label exit plan is about growth
- Mondelez launches Oreo Thins in US
- Leclerc to contest ruling on supplier payments
- North Castle acquires stake in Sprout
- ABF's Kingsmill returns to Tesco
- UK's first free range milk label launched
- Nestlé SA in Packaged Food: Confectionery, Ice Cream, Sauces, Dressings and Condiments (World)
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: News and Events April 2015