FRANCE: Investment lifts Carrefour profits, to up 2014 spending
Carrefour's shares rose in early trading in Paris
Carrefour, the world's second-largest retailer, today (5 March) reported higher 2013 profits as investment helped boost sales in France - with the company pledging to up capital expenditure this year.
The company said its recurring operating income rose 5.3% to EUR2.24bn (US$3.08bn), slightly higher than the consensus forecast of analysts.
On a reported basis, Carrefour's turnover was down 1% at EUR74.89bn, although sales in France were up 0.3% at EUR35.44bn. Like-for-like sales grew across all formats in France, Carrefour said.
On an organic basis, Carrefour's net sales grew 2.3%, with a 1% rise in France contributing to the growth in the top line. Organic sales in the rest of Europe fell 0.3% but rose 2.2% in Asia and by 12.3% in Latin America.
Carrefour said recurring operating income from its French business jumped 30%. The retailer pointed to improved margins thanks to "an improved balance between everyday low prices, promotions and loyalty programs and lower shrinkage".
Reported net income was up 0.1% at EUR1.26bn.
Net income from recurring operations jumped from EUR150m in 2012 to EUR949m in 2013. Financial expenses were lower year-on-year due to a drop in interest expense and lower exceptional items. Income from discontinued operations was also lower.
Carrefour said it would "intensify" its store remodelling programme. It plans to "accelerate" its roll-out of multi-channel operations.
Shares in Carrefour were up 1.11% at EUR26.92 at 09:55 CET.
Click here for a round-up of analyst views on the results.
For the full results statement from Carrefour, click here.
Carrefour SA Carrefour Sabançi Ticaret Merkezi aims to increase its share in Turkey by offering high-quality products at reasonable prices. To this end, the company aims to increase its presence throu...
This is a detailed report covering Carrefour’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in India....
This is a detailed report covering Carrefour’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Brazil....
Synopsis Canadean's "Carrefour S.A. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company ...
This is a detailed report covering Carrefour’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Spain. Introduction and Landscape Why was the repo...
- M&A Watch - Could Cloetta be takeover target?
- Why Arla upbeat about LatAm prospects
- Comment: Can Applegate retain trust under Hormel?
- How the Applegate acquisition will benefit Hormel
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Yildiz eyeing further deals - reports
- PAI, Pamplona "eyeing Bakkavor stake"
- Heinz, Boulder face off in Smart Balance TM spat
- FrieslandCampina ends Bongrain German tie-up
- Wal-Mart acts on animal welfare, antibiotics
- Successful New Product Development Strategies in the Food, Drinks and Personal Care Market
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Future of the Ice Cream Market in the United Kingdom to 2019
- Consumer Foodservice in Indonesia
- Marks & Spencer (Asia Pacific) Ltd in Retailing (Hong Kong, China)