EUROPE: Ireland seeks Polish assurances on horse DNA
Ireland's agriculture minister has sought assurances from Poland's food safety authorities that beef burger filler supplied by Polish companies to Irish and UK processors will not again contain horse DNA.
Simon Coveney told journalists last night (28 January) that he has been in touch with his counterpart in Poland over the issue.
His comments came during a press conference following an EU Council of Agriculture Ministers meeting - Ireland currently holds the presidency of the Council.
"There's an ongoing discussion with Polish authorities to establish how it could have happened and to ensure that it doesn't happen again," Coveney said. He added that the matter was not raised during the Council meeting.
Last weekend, Irish officials named Poland as the source of the horse DNA that was earlier this month found in beef burgers on sale in Tesco, Aldi, Lidl and Iceland in the UK and Ireland. The findings have prompted recalls and questions about the adequacy of traceability measures in the food supply chain.
Earlier today, undeclared horse meat DNA has been found in Spanish burgers, a leading consumer organisation revealed.
Since its relatively recent arrival in Spain market, Aldi has maintained its focus on a strong expansion strategy. The only year in which the company slowed down its programme of new outlet openings w...
As the low-price leader in grocery retailing, discount grocery retailer Aldi takes a “less is more” approach. The company keeps costs down by carrying a limited assortment of grocery items, building s...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- just-food's pick: Natural Products Expo top 10
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits