EUROPE: Ireland seeks Polish assurances on horse DNA
Ireland's agriculture minister has sought assurances from Poland's food safety authorities that beef burger filler supplied by Polish companies to Irish and UK processors will not again contain horse DNA.
Simon Coveney told journalists last night (28 January) that he has been in touch with his counterpart in Poland over the issue.
His comments came during a press conference following an EU Council of Agriculture Ministers meeting - Ireland currently holds the presidency of the Council.
"There's an ongoing discussion with Polish authorities to establish how it could have happened and to ensure that it doesn't happen again," Coveney said. He added that the matter was not raised during the Council meeting.
Last weekend, Irish officials named Poland as the source of the horse DNA that was earlier this month found in beef burgers on sale in Tesco, Aldi, Lidl and Iceland in the UK and Ireland. The findings have prompted recalls and questions about the adequacy of traceability measures in the food supply chain.
Earlier today, undeclared horse meat DNA has been found in Spanish burgers, a leading consumer organisation revealed.
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Why Flowers Foods organic bread deal is a killer
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- Ajinomoto "eyes acquisitions in Europe"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Chocolate and Chocolate Candy Manufacturing Industry (U.S.): Analytics, Extensive Financial Benchmarks, Metrics and Revenue Forecasts to 2022
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report