UK: IT systems a hindrance not a help - Sainsbury's Sir Peter Davis speaks out
Sir Peter Davis, group chief executive of the UK's second largest supermarket group, Sainsbury , took industry colleagues by surprise yesterday [Tuesday]. On his recent return to the group after an absence of fifteen years, Davis said that that the information and communications systems in place at the group were often more of a hindrance than a help.Speaking at the annual convention of the Institute of Grocery Distribution, Davis referred to the mass of new technology that has arrived on the scene during his fifteen year absence. Technological advances such as cross-decking, scanning, Just In Time processes and streamlined replenishment had made the ITC arena extremely complex, he said. While Davis and his team have implemented a number of initiatives themselves, he called in Andersen Consulting to overhaul the ITC infrastructure at Sainsbury, as he saw this as the quickest, most efficient way to solve the problems the group was experiencing in this area. He called on retailers to remember that the purpose of technology was to serve customers better, more cheaply and more quickly - it is not an end in itself, a fact some players tend to overlook.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Mondelez goes beyond certified cocoa - analysis
- How Tyson's new CEO plans to grow the meat group
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%
- Unilever sets new margin target with help from ZBB
- Unilever focuses on "value" of spreads arm
- Putin 'wants embargo to run as long as possible'
- McCormick to buy flavours business Enrico Giotti