EU: Italian sale clears Suedzucker, ED&F Man deal
UK sugar trader ED&F Man has agreed to offload its interest in a refinery in Italy to secure EU clearance for the sale of a stake in its business to German giant Südzucker.
ED&F Man is to sell its holdings in a refinery in Brindisi to meet EU concerns over the impact of its deal with Südzucker could have on competition in the sugar sector.
The European Commission has been looking into Südzucker's bid to buy almost 25% of ED&F Man since November and said the sale of the UK firm's interest in the Brindisi refinery was a condition of approving the deal.
Brussels said the companies had agreed to transfer long-term raw cane sugar supply contracts to a firm in Brindisi. That deal would ensure the refinery remains "a viable and competitive force in Italy", it added.
The Commission said Südzucker's acquisition of 25% of ED&F Man - minus one share - would not harm competition for raw cane sugar and molasses supplies across the EU. Brussels officials also looked into the impact on the refined sugar sector in Greece and wholesale supplies of refined sugar to retailers in Italy.
Südzucker "welcomed" the European Commission's decision. A spokesperson noted Brussels had "determined that in most European markets the merger will have no adverse impact on competition."
The company added the sale of ED&F Man's holding in the Brindisi refinery was agreed to "alleviate possible concerns in Italy".
UK food and drink manufacturers have said there are "lots of questions" over how EU laws on food labelling will be implemented....
EU regulation on country-of-origin labelling across all meats could mean an "added burden" to the food industry and consumers, the British Meat Processors Association has said....
EU rules on nutrition labelling and on the health claims food companies can put on their products benefit the industry, the European Commission has claimed....
The EU's regulation of the food industry could lead manufacturers to shift their R&D investment outside the bloc, UK food manufacturers have warned....
This week, European industry association FoodDrinkEurope is holding a two-day conference in Brussels discussing how the sector can ride out the tough economic conditions on the Continent and the longe...
Arla Foods will sell the milk drinks business of Milk Link in order to satisfy competition authorities before merging with the UK dairy farmer cooperative....
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- What the analysts say: Unilever's mixed 2014
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- McCain to close Grobbendonk plant in Belgium
- Lifeway Foods CEO denies sale talks
- Jobs to go at FrieslandCampina cheese plant
- Unilever revenues disappoint as food sales fall
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019