US: JBS Worthington staff call for strike over pay dispute
Staff at the JBS Worthington plant have called for strike action
Workers at the JBS pork processing facility in Worthington in Minnesota have voted "overwhelmingly" in favour of strike action in disputes over employment packages.
In a statement issued by the UFCW Local 1161 workers union, workers have called a strike after the Brazil-based meat giant "made no offer of any wage increases, and has repeatedly proposed a health care plan that could drastically increase out-of-pocket costs for workers, while reducing coverage".
Discussions have been taking place between the two parties for 10 months, said the union.
"Today, JBS is a successful, profitable, multinational corporation that's earning profits hand over fist," said Mike Potter, president of UFCW Local 1161.
"Working people in the plants made this success possible. Yet, the company is demanding that workers accept deep cuts to their health care coverage. Their proposed health care plan is so bad, and so potentially expensive, it could mean bankruptcy for workers who become seriously ill, or decide to have a baby.
"There is simply no economic need to threaten the livelihoods of these workers - the only reason for this is greed."
A spokesperson for JBS told just-food today (9 May) that both parties continued "good faith negotiations" and it was "confident a resolution can be achieved in a timely manner".
JBS added: "Out of respect for the process and the people involved, JBS will limit further discussions to the bargaining table."
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities