PORTUGAL: Jeronimo Martins forecasts concern market
Kepler Cheuvreux said Q4 margins at Jeronimo Martins' Polish business were "weaker than expected"
Shares in Jeronimo Martins have come under pressure after the Portugal-based retailer announced its outlook for 2014.
Jeronimo Martins said it expects its sales to grow this year "at least in line" with the rate it saw in 2013.
Last year, the owner of Portuguese chain Pingo Doce and Polish retailer Biedronka, generated sales of EUR11.8bn (US$16.12bn), up 10.7% on 2012.
The retailer also forecast its 2014 EBITDA was "expected to grow in line with sales". However, it added: "In the light of the risk of food deflation and the market competitiveness we cannot rule out group EBITDA margin being slightly below the previous year."
Jeronimo Martins issued the outlook on Tuesday (25 February) as it published its results for 2013. On Wednesday, shares in the retailer fell 6.46%. In early trading today, Jeronimo Martins' stock was down a further 1.07% at EUR12.04.
Kepler Cheuvreux analyst Inigo Egusquiza described Jeronimo Martins' outlook as "weak".
Egusquiza said the sales forecast was below Jeronimo Martins' long-term guidance for a 12-15% CAGR between 2013 and 2016.
The analyst cut an estimate for the retailer's EBITDA on the back of "weaker-than-expected" fourth-quarter margins on Poland, Jeronimo Martins' largest market.
In 2013, the retailer booked a 6% increase in net profit to EUR382m. EBITDA was up 5.1% at EUR777m.
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- How could a TTIP affect the food industry?
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Kellogg to invest in "next-generation innovation"
- PepsiCo "engaging" with Indofood on child labour
- Campaigners attack UK child obesity plan
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights