COLOMBIA: Jeronimo Martins opens Ara c-store chain
Portugal-based retailer Jeronimo Martins has opened its first store in Colombia.
The company launched its chain, operating under the Ara banner, in the city of Pereira yesterday (13 March). Four more stores will be open by the end of today.
Colombia is Jeronimo Martins' third market. It also operates in Poland, where it generates the majority of its sales and profits.
The retailer said the Ara outlets are convenience stores, with an average sales area of between 300 and 600 square metres.
It plans to spend EUR100m (US$129.7m) opening around 40 Ara stores this year. Jeronimo Martins has set a target of having 150 outlets in Colombia by the end of 2015. Its aim is to become one of the three largest retailers in the South American country.
- How Danone aims to meet its 2020 objectives
- Why Mars rice plan not just crop-ticking exercise
- Greencore's food-to-go focus paying dividends
- Interview: Ritter sees growth potential in US, EU
- ConAgra Foods: what could happen next? - analysis
- Pinnacle to buy Boulder Brands in $975m deal
- Genius Foods buys UK gluten-free firm Chapel Foods
- Maple Leaf Foods to cut over 400 jobs
- Hovis plans cuts amid anxiety over UK bread demand
- Aryzta regional CEO steps down