CHINA: Jingkelong ups stake in Shou Lian
Hong Kong's Beijing Jinkelong Company has entered into a capital increase agreement with troubled mainland retail group Shou Lian, thereby taking a 56.34% controlling stake in the group.
Jinkelong will invest CNY50m (US$6.44m) to gain new equity capital representing approximately 11.04% of the enlarged total equity of Shou Lian, the company said in a statement to the Hong Kong stock exchange yesterday (12 January).
The investment boosts Shou Lian's capital base to around CNY403.
Shou Lian operates three hypermarkets, 21 supermarkets, one discount store and 16 convenience stores in Beijing. The company posted significant losses in 2005 and 2006, when it lost about CNY100m and CNY80m respectively.
Jinkelong is a leading integrated retail and wholesale distributor with a foothold in the Greater Beijing region. It operates a network of 171 retail outlets and two retail logistics centres.
The board of Jinkelong said that increasing its stake in Shou Lian marked the beginning of its plan to expand in mainland China. Through the move, Jinkelong said it can: "expand its retail distribution network to cover other parts of the Greater Beijing Region and increase its revenue through the distribution of its products to Shou Lian."
Jinkelong believes that the integration of Shou Lian's retail network will allow it to realise various cost benefits in its distribution systems, while the economies of scale will afford the group a stronger negotiating position when it comes to sourcing capacity and bargaining power, the company said.
US supermarket operator Giant Eagle has acquired the bottling plant in Latrobe, Ohio formerly operated by Le-Nature, a soft drinks producer that filed for bankruptcy last year....
Russian retailer Dixy is in talks with local gaming group Ritzio over the possibility of building convenience stores in the country....
UK confectionery and snacks group Zetar is looking to secure another domestic acquisition in the next year and will then cast its eyes on Europe, its chief executive said today (24 July)....
US convenience food group Basic American Foods has bought Oregon-based Harry's Fresh Foods for an undisclosed sum....
The chief of Canadian convenience store group Alimentation Couche-Tard has said he is "satisfied" with the company's performance, despite posting flat profits over the last 12 months....
International retailers Carrefour and Geant have pledged to cut energy consumption in their Taiwan stores by up to 8% within the next three years....
European convenience foods producer Uniq has reported that sales from continuing businesses rose by 4% in the first six months of 2007....
Independent convenience store chain The Pantry has said it expects to report a drop in diluted earnings per share for the third quarter of the year....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review