US: J&J Snack Foods earnings rise on pretzel sales
J&J Snack Foods has booked a jump in first-quarter earnings on higher sales and an increase in investment income.
The US pretzel maker said that net earnings rose 22% to US$12.4m, up from $10.2m in the comparable period of last year. The bottom line was boosted by an increase in margins and a gain from investment income. Operating income increased to almost $18m, up from $15m last year.
During the period, the group said sales rose 6% to $203.5m. Gains were driven by higher foodservice sales of the group's soft pretzel product. J&J said that it is adding new capacity to manage an expected increase in demand.
The group also saw a rebound in retail demand, with sales dipping just 3% in the quarter, compared to a 24% slide in the fourth quarter of last year.
Janney analyst Jonathan Feeney said that the improved retail result provided "some comfort" that recent headwinds impacting its retail unit were "transitory and easing". Sales through the group's retail business have been hit by reductions in customer inventory and the impact of poor weather.
Emirates Snack Foods is the leading player in noodles in the United Arab Emirates. It has identified growing demand for instant noodles, as the need for convenience is growing as a result of busier li...
Walkers standard crisp brand continues to lose sales. However, the company is generating excellent performance from its non-core brands and new product developments. Consequently, Walkers will continu...
Snack Foods (Including Chips, Roasted Nuts and Peanut Butter) Manufacturing Industry (U.S.): Analytics, Extensive Financial Benchmarks, Metrics and Revenue Forecasts to 2021, NAIC 311910 Vital indust...
Specialty Food Processing, Including Spices, Snack Foods, Chips, Nuts, Coffees and Teas Manufacturing Industry (U.S.): Analytics, Extensive Financial Benchmarks, Metrics and Revenue Forecasts to 2021,
Specialty Food Processing, Including Spices, Snack Foods, Chips, Nuts, Coffees and Teas Manufacturing Industry (U.S.): Analytics, Extensive Financial Benchmarks, Metrics and Revenue Forecasts to 2021,...
- Focus: Why ABF is making bread better-for-you
- Why China was central to Nestle executive change
- just the answer: Gardein founder Yves Potvin
- Analysis: Quality, innovation driving Chinese milk
- Comment: How dairy can leverage nutrition
- Kellogg CEO: sales trends are improving
- Finsbury buys Johnstone's Just Desserts
- Oreo, gum propels Mondelez in China
- General Mills cuts Yoplait sugar by 25%
- Dean Foods brings milk brands under single label
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Global Seasonings, Dressings & Sauces Market: Merger and Acquisitions February 2015
- Consumer and Market Insights: Confectionery Market in the UK
- Food and beverage packaging today – what’s next?
- North America Food & Beverage Stabilizers and Systems Market – Analysis and Forecast upto 2019