UK: Jobs at risk as Waitrose ends distribution contract
The end date for the contract is 31 May, but Waitrose said this will be extended to 1 September
Around 400 jobs could be at risk after UK upmarket retailer Waitrose ended its contract at a facility in Lincolnshire.
Waitrose said it has decided not to renew its contract with the owner of the Bardon-based facility Kuehne and Nagel due to having increased space at other bases in Kent, Berkshire and Milton Keynes. The lease is owned by the retailer but the staff are employed by the global logistics company.
"We have been building capacity in our supply chain across the country in recent times to meet the needs of our growing branch network," a spokesperson for the retailer said.
"We've added space in our distribution centre in Aylesford in Kent, a new chilled warehouse in Bracknell, Berkshire and increased fresh food capacity at Brinklow distribution centre in Milton Keynes. We've also opened the new Celestia non-food facility in Milton Keynes."
The end date for the contract is 31 May, but Waitrose said this will be extended to 1 September.
A spokeswoman for Kuehne and Nagel said it is in the process of consulting with staff.
"While this is ongoing it would be inappropriate to discuss further. "Our relationship with Waitrose continues at a number of other distribution centre sites namely Theale in Berkshire and Celestia and Brinklow in Milton Keynes."
UK retailer Waitrose is testing the use of lockers for grocery shopping made through its click-and-collect service....
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- Unilever claims victory in Becel dispute
- KitKat to go sustainably sourced cocoa only
- Arla strikes JVs in Nigeria and Senegal
- Arla H1 profits down on milk price slump
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Biscuit Manufacturers (UK) - Industry Report
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Cakes, Pastries & Sweet Pies Market in Egypt: Market Profile to 2017