UK: Jobs at risk as Waitrose ends distribution contract
The end date for the contract is 31 May, but Waitrose said this will be extended to 1 September
Around 400 jobs could be at risk after UK upmarket retailer Waitrose ended its contract at a facility in Lincolnshire.
Waitrose said it has decided not to renew its contract with the owner of the Bardon-based facility Kuehne and Nagel due to having increased space at other bases in Kent, Berkshire and Milton Keynes. The lease is owned by the retailer but the staff are employed by the global logistics company.
"We have been building capacity in our supply chain across the country in recent times to meet the needs of our growing branch network," a spokesperson for the retailer said.
"We've added space in our distribution centre in Aylesford in Kent, a new chilled warehouse in Bracknell, Berkshire and increased fresh food capacity at Brinklow distribution centre in Milton Keynes. We've also opened the new Celestia non-food facility in Milton Keynes."
The end date for the contract is 31 May, but Waitrose said this will be extended to 1 September.
A spokeswoman for Kuehne and Nagel said it is in the process of consulting with staff.
"While this is ongoing it would be inappropriate to discuss further. "Our relationship with Waitrose continues at a number of other distribution centre sites namely Theale in Berkshire and Celestia and Brinklow in Milton Keynes."
We have identified 5 issues that will be crucial to the convenience store format in 2020....
UK retailer Waitrose is testing the use of lockers for grocery shopping made through its click-and-collect service....
- On the move: What's in store from Tesco's new CEO?
- Focus: Lindt plays safe with Russell Stover buy
- On the money: Steady as she goes at Cloetta
- Comment: ConAgra failing to address core issues
- Interview: Bell hits out at German cartel ruling
- Campbell issues warning on 2014/15 fiscal year
- UPDATE: Premier establishes international unit
- Premier launches Oxo pots range in UK
- Genius secures listings in French supermarkets
- Ferrero seals deal for hazelnut firm Oltan