UK: Jobs at risk in Tesco distribution reshuffle
Tesco has said it will attempt to relocate workers to the new super hubs
UK retail giant Tesco has revealed plans to reshuffle its distribution network, putting up to 2,000 jobs at risk.
The group said it is closing distribution centres in Harlow, Weybridge and Chesterfield. The sites employ 800, 650 and 400 staff respectively.
Tesco has 32 distribution centres across the UK but is looking to slim down its operations by moving work to two new sites in Reading and Dagenham. The retailer said the opening of the two sites is expected to create 1,900 jobs.
Tesco has said it will attempt to relocate workers to the new super hubs, where possible.
"We've been reviewing our distribution network, and on Monday confirmed plans to close some of our current distribution centres and open new ones that will give our customers a better service and improve working conditions for our colleagues," a spokesperson said.
"Colleagues who are affected will be offered jobs at other Tesco sites, including at the two new distribution sites we have confirmed that we will be opening, in Reading and Dagenham. Two thousand jobs will be created at those sites."
After Lindt & Sprungli reported higher solid first-half results last week, just-food interviewed the Swiss chocolate group's CEO Ernst Tanner to discuss its growth in mature markets and its patient st...
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- General Mills to invest in "growth businesses"
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- Quorn Foods confident in prospects - interview
- Nestle's focus on food for health - interview
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- UPDATE: Hershey rejects Mondelez takeover
- Healthier food a major opportunity for food makers
- Brexit – UK farmers warn of food price spike
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights
- ForeSights: Edible Cutlery; Cutlery made out of food-grade materials instead of plastic
- Fast Food in India