SWEDEN: Karlshamns Expects Considerable Growth Potentials From New EU Regulations
On 25 May the Council confirmed the recommendation previously issued by the European Parliament, to the effect that other vegetable fats may now replace up to 5% of cocoa butter in chocolate products sold within the European Union. This new legislation is a very positive development for Karlshamns AB, as the market for cocoa butter replacers is thereby considerably expanded, says Chairman of the Board Jan Ohlsson from Nordico Invest. Karlshamns is now preparing for the consequences, reviewing how the company's production capacity for speciality fats may be further improved. Harmonisation of the European chocolate standard means that free trade between the member states is now guaranteed, while it is now also possible to replace up to 5% of cocoa butter by other, clearly specified and EU approved, vegetable fats. We have many years of experience of these speciality fats (CBE, Cocoa Butter Equivalents), says Karlshamns' Sales & Marketing Director Johan Sandberg. The new 5% rule is expected to have effects on several other markets as well - such as South America, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, where similar proposed bills are already being prepared. The majority of the international chocolate and confectionery industries have already realized the advantages of speciality fats, Johan Sandberg continues - technical and economical benefits as well as potential quality improvements. The most important areas of improvement are the shelf life, melting properties, heat resistance and oxidation stability of the chocolate products. On a longer term, this ensures the customer not only a wider freedom of choice and improved quality, but also the lowest possible price. Karlshamns is one of the world's four leading producers of advanced vegetable speciality fats. Karlshamns delivers speciality fats all over the world, and is market leader in Scandinavia and Eastern Europe. The food industry is Karlshamns' major customer segment and Sweden is the single largest market.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review