US: Kellogg, Covance sign food testing deal
Kellogg has signed a deal with US food testing group Covance to use a soon-to-be built food safety lab in the cereal giant's home town of Battle Creek, Michigan.
The US food group will be the "anchor client" in the US$14m facility, which is set to get up and running in late 2010 and create 40 jobs "over time", Covance said.
A $42m deal between Covance and Kellogg will see the cereal and snacks maker "consolidate much of the food company's analytical chemistry, microbiology, and stability testing with Covance".
Kellogg told just-food that the site was close to its W.K. Kellogg Institute for Food and Nutrition Research. In September, Kellogg completed a $54m expansion to the institute, which opened in 1997.
"The agreement with Covance will allow Kellogg to continue to focus on producing great-tasting products that consumers love while ensuring the highest quality standards," Kellogg spokesperson Adaire Putnam said.
Putnam added that no Kellogg jobs would be affected by the Covance deal. "Covance has worked with Kellogg for more than 30 years helping us monitor the quality of our current products and develop new products. The testing services they provide are not performed by Kellogg employees."
As quarterly results from the world's listed food makers rained down upon us last week, industry watchers waited for any signs of confidence about the economic outlook, writes Dean Best....
The Australian federal government's commitment to spend A$900,000 (US$807,000) over three years to make foods healthier in Australia has been applauded by the Australian Food and Grocery Council (AFGC...
Confirmation that Unilever is planning to sell its Italian frozen food business proved popular reading this week. It now seems likely the consumer goods giant will continue to streamline its business ...
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Fonterra's full-year results – 10 things to learn
- Trans fat studies show complexity of health debate
- ConAgra suggests there is life in old brands yet
- Why Quorn Foods auction promises to be competitive
- Quorn Foods agrees sale to Monde Nissin
- Danone, Kerry, Pulmuone also eyeing Quorn
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- McCormick India JV hit by row
- ConAgra Foods "efficiency" drive to hit 1,500 jobs
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: News and Events July 2015