US: Kellogg may take US$30m hit from Mini-Wheats recall
Kellogg has admitted the cost of recalling boxes of Mini-Wheats cereal across the US could cost the company up to US$30m.
The company said yesterday (10 October) the recall bill would be $20-30m, a charge that will be recorded in its third-quarter results, announced next month.
The Food and Drug Administration also issued Kellogg's recall notice yesterday. The statement seven lines of Frosted Mini-Wheats Bite Size Original cereal that were to be pulled, as well as two SKUs of Mini-Wheats Unfrosted cereal.
"We have initiated a voluntary recall due to the possible presence of fragments of flexible metal mesh from a faulty manufacturing part," the Kellogg statement read.
The company reiterated its forecast of full-year earnings of $3.18-3.30 a share. It said a "good performance" from its Pringles business and changes in the estimates of "certain non-operating items" meant it could offset the costs of the recall.
Two years ago, Kellogg had to recall cereal products in the US as a result of an "uncharacteristic off-flavour and smell" coming from the liner in the package.
UK food group Lacka Foods intends to drive the growth of the breakfast category through the expansion of its Be Fast breakfast drink....
Kellogg, Associated British Foods and General Mills have been slammed by charity Oxfam International for failing to meet ethical standards....
Last week ended as it started: with a household brand caught up in the horsemeat contamination scandal. On Monday, Nestle said it had pulled Buitoni products in Spain and Italy after positive tests an...
Kellogg has pulled 36,000 packets of Special K in the US amid concerns the product could contain glass fragments....
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- What the analysts say: Unilever's mixed 2014
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- Unilever revenues disappoint as food sales fall
- Lifeway Foods CEO denies sale talks
- McCain to close Grobbendonk plant in Belgium
- Jobs to go at FrieslandCampina cheese plant
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019