AUS: Kirin doubles capacity at Lion fresh dairy plant
Lion holds local licence to Yoplait
Japanese group Kirin Holdings has doubled the capacity of a dairy products plant in Australia.
Lion, Kirin's Australian dairy and beverages subsidiary, said A$50m had been spent on the facility in Morwell in the state of Victoria. The investment has added 12 jobs to a site that employs around 200 people, Lion said.
Additional capacity was needed to meet demand and there is the potential to further expand the plant, Ken Sanders, regional operations director for dairy foods, said.
"The latest technology in areas such as cooling, packing and logistics have boosted production to between 70 and 80,000 tonnes, with room to grow even more over coming years," Sanders said.
In August, Lion reported a fall in half-year sales and profits from its dairy and drinks division.
Lower branded milk sales and Australian retailers' moves to sell own-label milk for A$1, which attracted shoppers away from other outlets, hit profits, Lion said. It also said the loss of private label contracts and "deletions" to its fresh dairy range affected volumes.
However, citing AC Nielsen stats, it said its NPD work behind Yoplait had pushed the fresh dairy category into growth.
The Morwell plant produces yoghurt and dairy desserts under brands including Farmers Union and Divine Classic. Lion also manufacturers products under licence for Yoplait at the facility.
Throughout the forecast period there is great potential for Lion Superindo –Gelael PT to expand its Super Indo supermarket network outside Java, especially in major cities outside Java, such as Medan,...
Delhaize America primarily operates in the eastern and southeastern US. It has suffered from increased price competition among grocery retailers and rising food and fuel costs that have seen consumers...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Emerging markets online: India's food retail scene
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Chobani launches Tots infant range
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- Premier Foods hails "improving" sales trends
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019