USA: Kroger announces it will not pursue purchase of 74 Winn-Dixie Stores in Texas and Oklahoma
The Kroger Co. yesterday said it has reached a mutual agreement with Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc. to terminate previously announced plans for Kroger to purchase 74 Winn-Dixie stores in Texas and Oklahoma. The announcement follows a decision by the Federal Trade Commission earlier this month to withhold approval of the planned purchase. After thoroughly reviewing our legal options, Kroger has decided not to pursue our planned purchase of these Winn-Dixie stores," said Joseph A. Pichler, Kroger chairman and chief executive officer. "Our decision today has no impact on Kroger's future earnings expectations." The Company declined further comment.Headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio, Kroger is the nation's largest retail grocery chain. The Company currently operates 2,319 supermarkets and multi-department stores in 31 states under more than a dozen banners, including Kroger, Fred Meyer, Ralphs, Smith's, King Soopers, Dillon, Fry's, City Market, Food 4 Less and Quality Food Centers. Kroger also operates 792 convenience stores, 397 fine jewelry stores and 42 food processing plants.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report