USA: Kroger announces it will not pursue purchase of 74 Winn-Dixie Stores in Texas and Oklahoma
The Kroger Co. yesterday said it has reached a mutual agreement with Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc. to terminate previously announced plans for Kroger to purchase 74 Winn-Dixie stores in Texas and Oklahoma. The announcement follows a decision by the Federal Trade Commission earlier this month to withhold approval of the planned purchase. After thoroughly reviewing our legal options, Kroger has decided not to pursue our planned purchase of these Winn-Dixie stores," said Joseph A. Pichler, Kroger chairman and chief executive officer. "Our decision today has no impact on Kroger's future earnings expectations." The Company declined further comment.Headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio, Kroger is the nation's largest retail grocery chain. The Company currently operates 2,319 supermarkets and multi-department stores in 31 states under more than a dozen banners, including Kroger, Fred Meyer, Ralphs, Smith's, King Soopers, Dillon, Fry's, City Market, Food 4 Less and Quality Food Centers. Kroger also operates 792 convenience stores, 397 fine jewelry stores and 42 food processing plants.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Lamb Weston goes it alone: six things to learn
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report