US: Kroger Q4 profits beat Wall St forecasts
Kroger posted higher LFL sales
US food retailer Kroger today (6 March) reported fourth-quarter earnings that beat analyst expectations.
Excluding the impact of Kroger's recent acquisition of regional US retailer Harris Teeter, as well as LIFO effects, adjusted net earnings per diluted share were $0.78 in the fourth quarter to 1 February.
The consensus forecast among analysts was for earnings per share to be $0.72.
On that basis, Kroger's net income was up from $370m a year earlier to $406m.
Including those items, Kroger's net income was down 8.7% at $718m. Operating income fell 12.3% to $718m.
Kroger, which has been reported to be mulling a bid for US rival Safeway Inc, reported a 3.7% fall in sales to $23.22bn for the quarter, which lapped a fourth quarter in 2012/13 with an extra week.
After adjusting for the extra week, total sales increased by 4.8%. Excluding fuel, total sales increased by 4.4%. Identical supermarket sales, without fuel, were up 4.3%
Over the year as a whole, Kroger's net income reached $1.52bn, up from $1.5bn. Adjusted earnings per diluted share were $2.85.
Operating profit dipped from $2.76bn to $2.73bn.
Sales were up 1.8% at $98.38bn. Identical-supermarket sales were up 3.6%, excluding fuel.
Kroger expects adjusted earnings per diluted share to grow 10-14% in part thanks to "accretion" from the Harris Teeter deal.
It forecast a 2.5-3.5% increase in identical supermarket sales, excluding fuel, but including the contribution from the Harris Teeter business. "This range takes into account the expectation of low inflation during the year," Kroger said.
Shares in Kroger were up 0.3% at $43.81 at 12:54 ET.
The Kroger Co. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings...
Kroger continues to fight for market share in the extremely competitive Grocery channel. Kroger continues to focus on its core Supermarket business and has opened new stores though a combination of ex...
After several years of reducing store counts, Kroger returned to growing its store base in 2012. For years, store remodels were a significant portion of capital investment. Now, it expects to selectiv...
Organic Food in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The profile also con...
- Why data is key to shopper satisfaction
- Interview: Premier sets sights overseas
- On the money: Spreads, ice cream top Unilever woes
- Sustainability Watch: Roberto Ciati, Barilla
- Short-termism decides Chiquita's future
- Hovis CEO Spooner leaves bread maker
- Glanbia chairman to step down
- General Mills to launch "Ancient Grains" Cheerios
- Kellogg earnings beat forecast but sales pressured
- Hershey lowers FY sales, earnings forecasts
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Supermarkets in China
- Pubs & Bars in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Consumer Trends Analysis: Understanding Consumer Trends and Drivers of Behavior in the Chinese Confectionery Food Market
- Kerry Group plc - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report