US: Kroger recalls ground beef
Kroger has recalled all ground beef products that were sold between 21 May and 8 June 2008 at its stores throughout Michigan and in central and northern Ohio, the company said yesterday (25 June). None of the ground beef is currently available for purchase.
The company said it had been notified by state and federal health authorities that E. coli illnesses reported in Michigan and in Central and Northern Ohio have been linked to ground beef products sold in some Kroger stores in those regions. The illnesses were reported between 31 May and 8 June.
"Kroger is asking customers to check their freezers for ground beef products - regardless of packaging - with sell-by dates of May 21 through June 8 and return them to stores for a full refund or replacement," a statement said.
"Kroger continues to work with local, state and federal health authorities to identify the supplier of the specific type of ground beef that may have caused the illnesses."
Kroger stores in the affected regions have placed signs with specific information in their meat departments to notify customers.
In 2007, US companies voluntarily recalled ground beef products 21 times. The amount of recalled meat was more than 33 million pounds.
US supermarket group Kroger booked a dip in third-quarter net earnings today (9 December), despite sales gains, due to costs related to Hurricane Ike....
US retailers that focus on value are more likely to win over consumers in 2009 as shopping habits change amid the economic downturn, a study has forecast....
US supermarket group Kroger has indicated that identical store sales accelerated in the third quarter thanks to its focus on value....
- 2017: three major drivers of M&A strategy
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- 2017 - what will shape the UK food sector?
- Could BRF's Turkey move pave way for OneFoods IPO?
- Food market in 2017: need-to-know US trends
- Premier Foods issues profit warning
- Ferrero insists Nutella not pulled from shelves
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- PepsiCo launches Walkers Mediterranean in UK
- Kellogg names Fareed Khan as incoming CFO