US: Kroger to "vigorously" defend chicken mislabelling claims
Kroger has been accused of misleading the public on the way its Simple Truth chicken product has been marketed
Kroger has said it will "vigorously" defend itself against claims the US retail giant has misled with consumers over how the chickens sold under its Simple Truth label have been raised.
A lawsuit allegest the grocer inaccurately labelled the Simple Truth chicken product as being raised in "a humane environment" that is "cage-free".
The suit, filed in California, said: "This is a proposed class action against Kroger for misleading consumers about the purportedly 'humane' treatment of its store-brand chickens, and for deceptively claiming its chickens are raised 'cage free' in violation of California consumer protection laws and California common law - when in fact every meat chicken in the country is raised cage free."
Kroger is accused of "looking to profit from growing consumer awareness of, and concern with, the treatment of farm animals raised for meat production".
The lawsuit added: "Kroger engaged in a deceptive and misleading marketing scheme to promote its Simple Truth store-brand chicken as having been sourced from chickens raised 'cage free in a humane environment'. In fact, Simple Truth chickens are treated no differently than other mass-produced chickens on the market. Kroger's claim that its chickens are raised 'in a humane environment' is false, deceptive, and misleading, and Kroger's claim that its chickens are 'cage free' is used by Kroger in a way that is deceptive and misleading."
Speaking to just-food today (13 February), a spokesperson for Kroger said the company had not "had an opportunity to review the lawsuit."
"What we have on our Simple Truth chicken label is information for our customers that we believe is accurate, and we intend to vigorously defend our label," he added.
Canadean's "The Kroger Co. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview,...
Kroger continues to fight for share in the extremely competitive grocery channel, holding a 7% value share for the category. Kroger continues to focus on its core supermarket business through acquisit...
Introduction Food Retail in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018......
Introduction Food Retail in North America industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). T......
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- UK Responsibility Deal must solve credibility gap
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mondelez to cut jobs at Chicago site
- JBS "seeking M&A" in Americas, Australia
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details