US: Kroger ups profit forecast
- Net earnings increase 1.6%
- Operating profit climbs 0.4%
- Sales grow 5.8%
US retailer Kroger has upped its full-year earnings guidance after reporting an increase in first-quarter profits.
Net earnings for the three months to 19 May amounted to US$439.4m, a 1.6% increase on the prior-year period. Operating profit edged up 0.4% to $814.1m, Kroger said today (14 June).
Total sales, including fuel, increased 5.8% to $29.1bn in the quarter. while sales excluding fuel, increased 4.3% over the same period last year.
Identical supermarket sales, without fuel, increased 4.2%, marking 34 consecutive quarters of positive identical supermarket sales, Kroger said.
"Kroger's solid first quarter performance demonstrates that our Customer 1st strategy continues to resonate with customers," said Kroger chairman and CEO David Dillon. "Our core business is growing, and we are rewarding shareholders through earnings growth, increasing dividends over time and share buybacks."
Based on the "strong results in the first quarter", the company said it has increased its EPS guidance to $2.33 to $2.40 per diluted share for fiscal 2012 from a previous guidance of $2.28 to $2.38.
Kroger continues to expect identical supermarket sales growth, excluding fuel, of 3% to 3.5%.
Click here to view the full earnings release.
US grocer Kroger has brushed off the possible increased threat from Wal-Mart, which plans to open more smaller stores in the country....
Organic Food in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The profile also con...
US retailer Kroger will stop selling fresh sprouts today (22 October) over concerns that the vegetable represents a food safety risk....
- On the move: What's in store from Tesco's new CEO?
- Focus: Lindt plays safe with Russell Stover buy
- just the answer: Birds Eye UK Margaret Jobling
- On the money: Steady as she goes at Cloetta
- Comment: ConAgra failing to address core issues
- Ferrero seals deal for hazelnut firm Oltan
- Campbell issues warning on 2014/15 fiscal year
- Premier launches Oxo pots range in UK
- Genius secures listings in French supermarkets
- Universal Robina to buy biscuit firm Griffin's