FRANCE/INDIA: Lactalis buys dairy firm Tirumala
Deal marks Lactalis's entry into India
A spokesperson confirmed the deal to just-food yesterday (7 January) but could not comment further. It followed months of speculation linking Lactalis to the business. In November, Tirumala confirmed Lactalis's French rival Danone had made a bid for the company.
Tirumala is one of the largest dairy processors in southern India. The Hyderabad-based company processes and markets products including milk, butter, [Indian cheese] paneer and ice cream. It turned over INR14.2bn (US$228.7m) in 2012-13, 21% higher than in the previous year.
The group was majority-owned by its founders, with private-equity firm Carlyle owning a minority stake.
Milk production in India is increasing annually by about 4%, while internationally the growth rate is 1.2% to 1.3%.
In 2013, Grupo Lactalis Iberia SA continued the restructuring of its business after the acquisitions carried out between 2010 and 2011, which included Puleva and cheese manufacturer Forlasa. The reorg...
Lactalis has become one of the most acquisitive dairy producers over the 2008-2013 period. It moved from fourth to third position in global dairy following the acquisition of Parmalat in 2011. The com...
Al Safi Danone aims to strengthen its position in dairy in Saudi Arabia and GCC countries through the provision of fresh products and heavy investment in product innovation and marketing....
"The Future of the Dairy Food Market in the United States to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and com...
- ConAgra Foods: what could happen next? - analysis
- Why Mars rice plan not just crop-ticking exercise
- Why Pinnacle Foods faces work on Boulder Brands
- Greencore's food-to-go focus paying dividends
- What could be benefit of US approval of GM salmon?
- Hovis plans cuts amid anxiety over UK bread demand
- Fonterra, Bellamy's strike baby nutritionals partn
- Unilever sets 2030 carbon positive goal
- Emmi acquires US firm Redwood Hill Farm
- Aryzta regional CEO steps down