FRANCE/INDIA: Lactalis buys dairy firm Tirumala
Deal marks Lactalis's entry into India
A spokesperson confirmed the deal to just-food yesterday (7 January) but could not comment further. It followed months of speculation linking Lactalis to the business. In November, Tirumala confirmed Lactalis's French rival Danone had made a bid for the company.
Tirumala is one of the largest dairy processors in southern India. The Hyderabad-based company processes and markets products including milk, butter, [Indian cheese] paneer and ice cream. It turned over INR14.2bn (US$228.7m) in 2012-13, 21% higher than in the previous year.
The group was majority-owned by its founders, with private-equity firm Carlyle owning a minority stake.
Milk production in India is increasing annually by about 4%, while internationally the growth rate is 1.2% to 1.3%.
In 2013, Grupo Lactalis Iberia SA continued the restructuring of its business after the acquisitions carried out between 2010 and 2011, which included Puleva and cheese manufacturer Forlasa. The reorg...
Al Safi Danone aims to strengthen its position in dairy in Saudi Arabia and GCC countries through the provision of fresh products and heavy investment in product innovation and marketing....
"The Future of the Dairy Food Market in the United States to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and com...
"The Future of the Dairy Food Market in the United Arab Emirates to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market ...
- just-food's pick: Innovation on show at ISM 2016
- Mondelez results and outlook - 7 things to learn
- Can dairy-free Flora lift Unilever spreads sales?
- Richelieu Foods CEO eyes growth - interview
- Foodservice focus: McDonald's/Five Guys/Starbucks
- Chobani targets growth after rejecting offers
- Mars to cut artificial colours from global foods
- Arla eyes job cuts as part of 2020 growth push
- Private-equity firm HKW acquires Panos Brands
- WWF launches food security platform