NETHERLANDS: Laurus trims format in Netherlands, analysts see merger
Laurus, the Dutch retailer created late 1998 by the merger of De Boer Unigro and Vendex Foodgroep, is apparently set to slash the number of its operating fascias from eight to three. Given the relatively small size of the Dutch and Belgian markets in which Laurus operates, this seems a sensible move. Analysts feel that the large number of store formats has diluted the impact of the group as a whole.Alongside the Netherlands and Belgium, Laurus also operates in Spain under the El Arbol supermarket format and the Max Descuento cash & carry operation. It is not thought that Laurus has a sufficient warchest to fund major international expansion is likely, so a merger with a major partner, for instance Belgian heavyweight Delhaize "Le Lion" cannot be discounted.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review