JAPAN: Lawson plans 100 "next-gen" c-stores
Japanese convenience retailer Lawson Inc plans to roll out its new "next-gen" Lawson Mart c-store to more than 100 locations in its new financial year.
Lawson opened its Lawson Mart in February, describing the outlet as a "convenience store tailored more closely to each locality".
In a presentation to investors outlining its 2013/14 financial results and strategic plans, Lawson said it "plans to open" 100 of the outlets in the 12 months to 28 February next year.
The retailer said it aims to convert half of its 1,200 Lawson Store100 outlets to the format in the next three years.
In a slide during the presentation, the company described the Lawson Mart as providing the "convenience of a convenience store and merchandise assortment of a supermarket".
Lawson saw its net profit reach JPY37.9bn last year, up from JPY33.1bn a year earlier. Operaing profit was up 2.8% at JPY68.1bn but fell short of Lawson's forecasts.
Net sales hit JPY1.95trn, compared to JPY1.91trn in the previous year but was lower than the company's estimates.
For the new financial year, Lawson forecast a 2.5% rise in net profit to JPY38.9bn. It has estimated operating profit will grow 10.1% to JPY75bn.
Canadean's "Lawson, Inc. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, k...
Lawson aims to increase its operating profits to ¥100.0 billion by 2020. In order to achieve this, the company plans to expand its consumer profile, especially to women and older consumers, as the cur...
Agricultural Products in Japan industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile ...
Organic Food in Japan industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contains descri...
Introduction Food Retail in Japan industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profi......
Grocery retailers recorded a marginal decline in current value during 2013. Although convenience stores increased in current value by 5% in 2013, almost all the other grocery retailers categories, inc...
The Japanese retailing industry performed well during 2013 as the country benefited from the policies which constitute ‘Abenomics’, which refers to the current Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s eco...
Business Monitor International's Japan Food and Drink Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, food and drink associations, government departments and regulatory bod...
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Mengniu sales dip but work on costs boosts profits
- Brownes Dairy "attracts eight suitors"
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis