JAPAN: Lawson "to appoint new CEO"
Lawson "preparing" for CEO transition
Japanese convenience retailer Lawson Inc is reportedly preparing to promote its chief operating officer, Genichi Tamatsuka, to the post of president and CEO.
According to a report in the Japanese Times, Tamatsuka will take the helm in 1 May, when current CEO Takeshi Niinami will stand down and take the position of chairman at the convenience giant.
The report cited "informed sources" but Lawson is yet to make an official statement. The company did not respond immediately when approached for comment.
Retail veteran Tamatsuka joined Lawson in 2010, having previously served at president of Fast Retailing Co.
Tamatsuka will take the helm at Lawson as the group navigates ongoing soft domestic consumption patterns and increasing competition among Japan's largest convenience retailers.
In its most resent financial update, for the nine-month period to end-December, Lawson booked an increase in profits driven by gains from its "efficient store-opening strategy". Lawson opened 294 stores in Japan during the period, taking its estate to 11,270 outlets. It also opened 35 stores overseas, including its first in outlets in Beijing and in Thailand.
The company has, however, struggled with weak like-for-like trends exasperated by declining tobacco sales. As a result, operating revenue dipped 0.6% in the nine-months. Lawson has responded by launching freshly-brewed coffee and investing in food ingredients to be prepared and eaten at home.
Canadean's "Lawson, Inc. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, k...
Lawson aims to increase its operating profits to ¥100.0 billion by 2020. In order to achieve this, the company plans to expand its consumer profile, especially to women and older consumers, as the cur...
Agricultural Products in Japan industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile ...
Organic Food in Japan industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contains descri...
Introduction Food Retail in Japan industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profi......
Grocery retailers recorded a marginal decline in current value during 2013. Although convenience stores increased in current value by 5% in 2013, almost all the other grocery retailers categories, inc...
The Japanese retailing industry performed well during 2013 as the country benefited from the policies which constitute ‘Abenomics’, which refers to the current Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s eco...
Business Monitor International's Japan Food and Drink Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, food and drink associations, government departments and regulatory bod...
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019