SPAIN: Leclerc focuses on price in Spanish growth push
Leclerc eyes Spanish growth
French retailer E.Leclerc has launched a price comparison website in Spain as it battles to win over shoppers in a tough economic environment.
Spanish consumers have been hit hard by the eurozone crisis and Leclerc said it aims to increase its share of sales in the Madrid market by stepping up its communication around price.
To this end, Leclerc launched price comparison website buscaelmasbarato.com earlier this week (30 October).
The data included on the site compares prices across different retailers in and around Madrid and reveals that Leclerc is currently the lowest price retailer in the region, the company claimed.
The move is "similar" to the price comparison website the company launched in France in 2006, the company said.
A spokesperson for the group commented: "It has been a very effective tool to communicate our [price message] in France and we expect to see similar results [in Spain]."
Leclerc has been working to grow its presence in Spain since its acquisition of seven hypermarkets in the region from Eroski in May 2011. To date in 2012, the company said it has opened a further seven stores in the country.
"We are strengthening [our Spanish business] and plan to continue to grow," the spokesperson concluded.
On Thursday, two of the world's largest food retailers will report their 2012 financial results and, more importantly, try to convince investors their moves to improve their operations in key markets ...
Michel-Edouard Leclerc, the president of French retailer E.Leclerc, has said the group is planning to become the first food retailer in France to issue virtual receipts....
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- Quorn Foods confident in prospects - interview
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Nestle's focus on food for health - interview
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Healthier food a major opportunity for food makers
- Brexit – UK farmers warn of food price spike
- Brexit – US confirms commitment to TTIP with EU
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016