USA: Leptin could permanently control appetite - research
Research on young mice into leptin has suggested that the hormone can change their brains' circuitry, creating permanent controls on their appetite, henceforth controlling obesity.
According to a study published in the journal Science, researchers from the USA's Oregon Primate Research Center initially thought leptin - like other hormones - attached itself to brain cells and altered brain activity directly.
Although it is known that leptin can depress appetites, the scientists were surprised to learn that it can actually permanently adapt brain connections, and also that surges of the hormone appear in young mice, as surges of sexual hormones appear during puberty, opening the way for more human obesity studies.
The food industry in the United States has been struggling with accusations that it is responsible for the country's "obesity epidemic" but companies are now developing strategies to deal with the pro...
As McDonald's and Wendy's introduce healthier options amid rising obesity levels and a general interest in healthier foods, some fastfood companies have been going in the opposite direction, introduci...
Artificial sweetener Splenda has enjoyed phenomenal success in recent years, and now has a 51% share of the US market. But now it has a fight on its hands, as sugar manufacturers file lawsuits claimin...
The UK food industry has announced its commitment to include on-pack Guideline Daily Amounts (GDAs) on up to eight nutrients, including calories, fat, saturated fat, carbohydrates, protein and sugars,...
Most adults blame the parents for America's child obesity problem, according to a report by market analysts Mintel....
The Australian government has launched an initiative to provide comprehensive national measures of what and how much Australian eat, and their levels of physical activity....
The USDA's Agricultural Research Service has unveiled Calorie-Trim, an all-natural, super-carb product he created to promote better consumer health....
Canadian health minister Ujjal Dosanjh and minister of state (public health) Dr Carolyn Bennett have recognized the need to take action to address the significant public health threat caused by obesi...
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Nestle invests in Italian pizza production
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report