GERMANY: Lidl "eyeing US entry by 2018"
Lidl is reportedly looking to be present in the US by 2018
Discount retailer Lidl is reportedly looking to expand into the US by 2018.
Lidl confirmed last summer it was exploring the possibility of opening stores in the US, with studies of the market expected to be completed by the end of this year or early next.
However, according to a report by regional German newspaper Heilbronner Stimme, Lidl CEO Klaus Gehrig said the retailer was planning to invest EUR4bn (US$5.5bn) in expanding its international business - which included a US venture he said was "in full swing".
The news comes as parent company of Lidl, Schwarz Group, which also owns hypermarket chin Kaufland, reported a 10% increase in annual net sales to EUR74bn (US$98bn).
Gemran hypermarket chain Kaufland delivered sales of EUR20bn while Lidl recorded sales of EUR54bn.
Schwarz did not respond to questions regarding its expansion strategy when approached by just-food.
Schwarz Gruppe is not just the driving force behind Lidl’s remarkable success story over recent years, but is also behind Kaufland – currently the most successful hypermarket business in the EU. The K...
Lidl Bulgaria EOOD &Co. KD is part of the Lidl international chain of discounters, which operates in more than 20 European countries. At the beginning of the 2011 financial year, Lidl entered Bulgaria...
Lidl has to improve its image in terms of the quality of its products: The issue with contaminated steaks in 2011 created problems for its image and the company was still trying to improve its reputat...
Since its entry to into Switzerland in 2009, Lidl has pursued a strategy of expansion. By 2014, the company sees the potential for 150-200 Lidl stores in Switzerland. The discounter is clearly focusin...
- On the money: Unilever shifting into growth spots
- On the money: Danone denies strategy overhaul
- Why whole sector should take heed of meat scrutiny
- The just-food interview: Premier Foods CEO Darby
- On the money: Hershey confident in NPD pipeline
- Chobani bid for fresh UK appeal rejected
- Kellogg to close US snack plant
- 2 Sisters "passes" FSA poultry plant audits
- FrieslandCampina to form "dairy zones" in Vietnam
- Tyson sells Mexico, Brazil ops to JBS