GERMANY: Lidl "eyeing US entry by 2018"
Lidl is reportedly looking to be present in the US by 2018
Discount retailer Lidl is reportedly looking to expand into the US by 2018.
Lidl confirmed last summer it was exploring the possibility of opening stores in the US, with studies of the market expected to be completed by the end of this year or early next.
However, according to a report by regional German newspaper Heilbronner Stimme, Lidl CEO Klaus Gehrig said the retailer was planning to invest EUR4bn (US$5.5bn) in expanding its international business - which included a US venture he said was "in full swing".
The news comes as parent company of Lidl, Schwarz Group, which also owns hypermarket chin Kaufland, reported a 10% increase in annual net sales to EUR74bn (US$98bn).
Gemran hypermarket chain Kaufland delivered sales of EUR20bn while Lidl recorded sales of EUR54bn.
Schwarz did not respond to questions regarding its expansion strategy when approached by just-food.
Lidl & Cia is expected to continue its expansion into urban areas in Portugal with more than 10,000 residents. In the short term, the number of branded products available in Lidl outlets is expected t...
The market entry of Lidl generated a lot of hype in Bulgaria as customers flocked to the discounter’sstores. The operator, which is part of Germany’s Schwarz Group, is using a strategy of swift outlet...
Lidl had another strong year in Ireland in 2013 as Irish consumers continued to trade down to less expensive groceries and were attracted by the heavy promotional activity from discounters. Lidl is se...
Lidl Dienstleistung GmbH & Co KG follows a rather successful strategy of focusing on market presence, a high level of professionalism and customer satisfaction as well as a highly competitive price-va...
One of the sales drivers of Lidl België GmbH & Co KG is its expansion policy. Partnering with landlords and real estate agencies such as Retail Estates SA, Lidl’s expansion team in Belgium has various...
Lidl Ceska republika plans to invest in its chain in the Czech Republic over the forecast period. The company will focus on broadening and modernising its existing outlets with the aim of being more c...
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia - Sweet and sour of confectionery sector
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- China implements new safety regulations
- BRF to buy certain Molinos Rio de la Plata brands
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- Chilled Processed Food Packaging in the United Kingdom