US: Lidl owner Schwarz secures IFC cash for E Europe push
Schwarz Group, the company behind Lidl and discount hypermarket chain Kaufland, has secured funding from the International Finance Corporation for expansion in eastern Europe.
The IFC, the investment arm of the World Bank, has said its board has agreed a loan package worth US$108.4m for Schwarz to build its business in Bulgaria and Croatia - and enter Serbia.
"Lidl ... is implementing a long-term expansion plan in Bulgaria and Croatia and is planning to enter the Serbian market in 2014 by opening new Lidl discount stores," the IFC said. "The group, one of the largest European food retail discounters, has requested IFC to provide a long-term loan to its Bulgarian, Croatian and Serbian subsidiaries to partially finance the project."
The IFC said the moves would benefit "small to large local suppliers by applying its strict standards in food quality and safety". Low-income consumers will also benefit, while the organisation said the expansion "is expected to create significant local direct employment, with a large participation of women, currently at above 60%".
Lidl could not provide immediate comment when contacted by just-food.
Lidl & Cia is expected to continue its expansion into urban areas in Portugal with more than 10,000 residents. In the short term, the number of branded products available in Lidl outlets is expected t...
The market entry of Lidl generated a lot of hype in Bulgaria as customers flocked to the discounter’sstores. The operator, which is part of Germany’s Schwarz Group, is using a strategy of swift outlet...
Lidl had another strong year in Ireland in 2013 as Irish consumers continued to trade down to less expensive groceries and were attracted by the heavy promotional activity from discounters. Lidl is se...
Lidl Dienstleistung GmbH & Co KG follows a rather successful strategy of focusing on market presence, a high level of professionalism and customer satisfaction as well as a highly competitive price-va...
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- China implements new safety regulations
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019