SPAIN: Lidl plans EUR180m store, distribution offensive
Lidl upping investment in Spain
Lidi is to spend EUR180m (US$247.6m) in Spain this year on new stores, improving ranges in existing outlets and opening another warehouse in the country.
The discount giant, which has over 525 stores in Spain, plans to open 20 new outlets, a spokesperson for the company's Spanish arm told just-food.
Lidl will also invest in a batch of existing stores, he said. "We will invest as well in other 50 existing stores in order to increase the sales room and add new products in the assortment," the spokesperson explained.
The retailer also plans to open its ninth warehouse, in Murcia, this autumn.
The EUR180m investment programme builds on EUR160m spent last year and EUR100m in 2012.
Lidl's expansion plans caught the eye of Kepler Cheuvreux retail analyst Inigo Egusquiza, who covers Spain-based discounter Dia.
Citing data from Kantar Worldpanel, Egusquiza said Lidl was the seventh-largest food retailer in Spain, with a market share of 2.9%. However, Egusquiza said Kantar Worldpanel's data showed Lidl was posting "the highest growth" in Spain.
"We believe that 2014 will be another tough year for the Spanish food retail industry with many different players expanding business including Dia, Lidl, Mercadona, Carrefour, ECI, Eroski among other players," Equsquiza said.
"We also believe that 2014 might be a tougher year than 2013 from a pricing perspective as Dia has already announced the intention of becoming more aggressive in pricing to try to turn around the negative LFL published in 2013."
In 2011 Dia Portugal Supermercados was sold by Carrefour to Distribuidora Internacional de Alimentación, a Spanish company. However, in Portugal the company continued to operate exclusively under its ...
Lidl & Cia is expected to continue its expansion into urban areas in Portugal with more than 10,000 residents. In the short term, the number of branded products available in Lidl outlets is expected t...
The market entry of Lidl generated a lot of hype in Bulgaria as customers flocked to the discounter’sstores. The operator, which is part of Germany’s Schwarz Group, is using a strategy of swift outlet...
Lidl Dienstleistung GmbH & Co KG follows a rather successful strategy of focusing on market presence, a high level of professionalism and customer satisfaction as well as a highly competitive price-va...
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- China implements new safety regulations
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- Chilled Processed Food Packaging in the United Kingdom