FRANCE: Lidl plays down shift in positioning
Lidl has 1,600 stores in France
Lidl has denied reports it is shedding its hard discounter role in France by selling more major brands.
However, a spokesman told just-food Lidl, which has 1,600 stores in France, had unveiled a new strategy for the company at a gathering of 3,000 managers during in Paris last week.
Commenting on reports Lidl France was to become a mainstream 'soft' discounter, he said: "This has not come from us. We already stock around 300 national brands in our stores. Together with our own brands, customers have a choice of approximately 1,250 brands in total.
He declined to go into detail on the new strategy but did reveal Lidl was looking to develop more in-store bakeries.
He added the new strategy would "position us as a fully-fledged retail brand in its own right without becoming a traditional retailer".
Schwarz Gruppe is not just the driving force behind Lidl’s remarkable success story over recent years, but is also behind Kaufland – currently the most successful hypermarket business in the EU. The K...
Lidl Suomi Ky, which is the leading and only discounter in Finland, aims to offer value-for-money private label products, taking into account local tastes and preferences. In 2011 and 2012, Lidl aimed...
Much in line the strategy the company was developing towards the end of the review period, during the forecast period, Lidl Supermercados SA is set to focus its strategy on two pillars. The first of t...
- M&A Watch: Raisio should sell to private equity
- Infographic: Snapshot of Japan's food sector
- On the money: Solid Lindt outpaces chocolate peers
- Spotlight: What could be impact of Russia's ban?
- Briefing: Expansion agenda of Japan's food majors
- Russian government eases ban on food imports
- Pork Farms buys Kerry Group's pastry plants
- Kerry cools claim spreads move could hit jobs
- Profits up at chocolate group Lindt
- Japan's Sanyo takes stake in Olam's food biz
- New Strategies for offering Convenience in Food - targeting new occasions, best practice and new solutions
- David Chapman's Ice Cream Ltd in Packaged Food (Canada)
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: Merger and Acquisitions May 2014
- Food Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Other Dairy in Russia