UK: Lidl to invest in UK store expansion
Lidl plans to open 35-50 new UK stores this year
German retailer Lidl is to make a "multi-million pound" investment in 35-50 new UK stores this year.
The discount retailer said today (16 January) the investment, which will expand its portfolio from the current 600 UK store count, is expected to create around 1,000 jobs across England, Scotland and Wales.
"We're looking forward to bringing our stores to more towns and cities around the country and are encouraged by the recent sales results demonstrating that Lidl has become more and more relevant to British consumers today," said Lidl spokesperson Georgina O'Donnell.
According to figures from Kantar Worldpanel, Lidl's UK market share in December increased from 2.6% in the prior year to 2.8%, with overall sales increases reported at around 11%.
Schwarz Gruppe is not just the driving force behind Lidl’s remarkable success story over recent years, but is also behind Kaufland – currently the most successful hypermarket business in the EU. The K...
Lidl Suomi Ky, which is the leading and only discounter in Finland, aims to offer value-for-money private label products, taking into account local tastes and preferences. In 2011 and 2012, Lidl aimed...
Much in line the strategy the company was developing towards the end of the review period, during the forecast period, Lidl Supermercados SA is set to focus its strategy on two pillars. The first of t...
The company’s main focus in 2012 was the expansion of its Slovenian outlet network. Two new Lidl outlets opened their doors in Slovenia and the same number of new stores is expected in 2013. Lidl cont...
- On the money: Hormel still looking for M&A
- BRICs and beyond: Fonterra, Beingmate partnership
- Consuming issues: The hunger-obesity paradox
- On the money: Mengniu hones in on "star" brands
- just-food interview: Agropur CEO Robert Coallier
- Fonterra, Beingmate launch infant formula JV
- Mondelez eyes snacks categories in India
- Parmalat nears Lacteos Brasil acquisition
- UK firm Pasta Reale enters administration
- Italy yoghurt woes lead to Emmi profit warning