UK: Lidl to invest in UK store expansion
Lidl plans to open 35-50 new UK stores this year
German retailer Lidl is to make a "multi-million pound" investment in 35-50 new UK stores this year.
The discount retailer said today (16 January) the investment, which will expand its portfolio from the current 600 UK store count, is expected to create around 1,000 jobs across England, Scotland and Wales.
"We're looking forward to bringing our stores to more towns and cities around the country and are encouraged by the recent sales results demonstrating that Lidl has become more and more relevant to British consumers today," said Lidl spokesperson Georgina O'Donnell.
According to figures from Kantar Worldpanel, Lidl's UK market share in December increased from 2.6% in the prior year to 2.8%, with overall sales increases reported at around 11%.
Lidl Suomi Ky, which is the leading and only discounter in Finland, aims to offer value-for-money private label products, taking into account local tastes and preferences. In 2011 and 2012, Lidl aimed...
Much in line the strategy the company was developing towards the end of the review period, during the forecast period, Lidl Supermercados SA is set to focus its strategy on two pillars. The first of t...
The company’s main focus in 2012 was the expansion of its Slovenian outlet network. Two new Lidl outlets opened their doors in Slovenia and the same number of new stores is expected in 2013. Lidl cont...
Lidl, owned by Schwarz Beteiligungs GmbH KG, entered Croatia in 2003, but it did not start to see significant sales results before 2006. By offering a relatively large share of Lidl private label prod...
- BRICs: The thinking behind Mondelez's Vietnam deal
- Prospects for protein: Snacks growth to continue
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- Deal or no deal: Should Danone buy Mead Johnson?
- Comment: Why Gardein is Pinnacle's ideal fodder
- 2 Sisters Food Group posts higher annual losses
- Bird flu leads Dutch to stop poultry distribution
- Arla eyes infant formula firms with lactose plant
- Live blog: Food Matters Live
- Raisio buys UK, Ireland and Belgium Benecol ops