UK: Lidl trials "healthy tills"
Lidl places fruit at tills in trial health move
Discount retailer Lidl has launched a trial "healthy till" initiative in a move that will see it remove confectionery products from its till areas.
Impulse confectionery products, such as chocolates, will be replaced with foods that have a higher nutritional value, such as fresh fruit, the company said today (8 January).
Lidl said the trial will be rolled out across its 600 UK stores and comes as part of the group's increased focus on corporate social responsibility.
The retailer also emphasised it has signed up to the UK Government's fruit and vegetable Responsibility Deal, which was launched last November. As part of this commitment, Lidl voluntarily committed to rebrand its entire fruit and vegetable range, making it more appealing, particularly for children.
Lidl has also introduced a hybrid food labelling system to its own-label products, which will comprise both Lidl's existing Guideline Daily Amounts (GDA) as well as a 'traffic light' colour-coding system.
"Lidl is currently working together with the government and other leading supermarkets to establish a consistent approach to nutritional food labelling in order to help consumers in their wish to lead healthier lifestyles," the company said.
Lidl Suomi Ky, which is the leading and only discounter in Finland, aims to offer value-for-money private label products, taking into account local tastes and preferences. In 2011 and 2012, Lidl aimed...
Much in line the strategy the company was developing towards the end of the review period, during the forecast period, Lidl Supermercados SA is set to focus its strategy on two pillars. The first of t...
The company’s main focus in 2012 was the expansion of its Slovenian outlet network. Two new Lidl outlets opened their doors in Slovenia and the same number of new stores is expected in 2013. Lidl cont...
Lidl, owned by Schwarz Beteiligungs GmbH KG, entered Croatia in 2003, but it did not start to see significant sales results before 2006. By offering a relatively large share of Lidl private label prod...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report