ANUGA 2013: Lifeway eyes mainstream UK distribution
Lifeway eyes UK multiples
Lifeway Foods, the US-based manufacturer of cultured dairy products, could secure deals with major supermarket chains in the UK next year, its chief executive has told just-food.
The company entered the UK in May this year, with a listing for its frozen kefir at upmarket department store Harvey Nichols. The product has since hit the shelves at local Whole Foods Market outlets and at health and wellness chain Holland and Barrett.
Speaking at the Anuga industry trade show in Cologne yesterday (6 October), Lifeway CEO Julie Smolyansky said the company was in discussions with UK supermarkets and indicated agreements could be announced in 2014. "We are in talks. I think 2014 you'll see several things coming up," she told just-food.
Smolyansky said she had become "more and more optimistic" about Lifeway's potential overseas in recent months and was eyeing further expansion, including in Europe.
Click here for the full interview with the Lifeway CEO, in which she discusses the potential for the business in the US and abroad, as well as her belief probiotics and kefir could help tackle the "health crises" hitting developed and developing markets.
Changing consumer behaviour is having a transformational impact on the US food and food retail sectors, as consumers alter where they shop and what they buy. The growing popularity of non-traditional ...
Whole Foods Market is to buy four stores from local US retailer New Frontiers Natural Marketplace....
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Bernard Matthews pensions scheme under review
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities