ANUGA 2013: Lifeway eyes mainstream UK distribution
Lifeway eyes UK multiples
Lifeway Foods, the US-based manufacturer of cultured dairy products, could secure deals with major supermarket chains in the UK next year, its chief executive has told just-food.
The company entered the UK in May this year, with a listing for its frozen kefir at upmarket department store Harvey Nichols. The product has since hit the shelves at local Whole Foods Market outlets and at health and wellness chain Holland and Barrett.
Speaking at the Anuga industry trade show in Cologne yesterday (6 October), Lifeway CEO Julie Smolyansky said the company was in discussions with UK supermarkets and indicated agreements could be announced in 2014. "We are in talks. I think 2014 you'll see several things coming up," she told just-food.
Smolyansky said she had become "more and more optimistic" about Lifeway's potential overseas in recent months and was eyeing further expansion, including in Europe.
Click here for the full interview with the Lifeway CEO, in which she discusses the potential for the business in the US and abroad, as well as her belief probiotics and kefir could help tackle the "health crises" hitting developed and developing markets.
Changing consumer behaviour is having a transformational impact on the US food and food retail sectors, as consumers alter where they shop and what they buy. The growing popularity of non-traditional ...
Whole Foods Market is to buy four stores from local US retailer New Frontiers Natural Marketplace....
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Quorn Foods confident in prospects - interview
- How to win in Australian gluten-free cereal
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit - UK food trade body issues warning
- Brexit – UK farmers warn of food price spike
- Brexit – US confirms commitment to TTIP with EU
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights