FRANCE: Limagrain opens first bakery in Brazil
Limagrain, the French agricultural co-op, has opened its first bakery in Brazil as it looks to build its bread and pastry business outside its domestic market.
The plant is located in Guarapuava in southern Brazil. From January, Limagrain, which owns the Jacquet and Brossard bakery brands, will supply a line of products to Brazil's largest retailer CBD, which is controlled by French retailer Casino.
Limagrain said production lines are expected to be installed next autumn; until then, products will be imported from France.
The ambition of the Jacquet-Brossard group is to achieve a turnover of EUR20m (US$25.4m) in three years but, also and especially, to become a major player in the Brazilian market with a turnover in excess of EUR80m in 2020, Emmanuel Aimond, CEO of Limagrain's Jacquet-Brossard unit, said during the opening of the plant.
Limagrain added Brossard to a bakery portfolio containing Jacquet last year when it acquired Brossard.
Earlier this week, the co-op, which also claims to be the fourth-largest seed company in the world, reported lower annual profits but higher sales.
Net profit totalled EUR88m, compared with EUR92m during the previous fiscal year, which had included a windfall profit of EUR30m as a result of the sale of equity securities in China. Consolidated sales were EUR1.78bn, up almost 15%
Brazilian tycoon Abilio Diniz, the chairman of the CBD, the country's largest retailer, has been lined up for a seat on the board of local food group Brasil Foods....
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities