USA: Listeria contamination possible, Ag commissioner warns
Georgia Commissioner of Agriculture Tommy Irvin is advising Georgians to check their freezers for a brand of chicken patties that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, a bacteria that can potentially cause illness.A routine sample taken by the Georgia Department of Agriculture of Maple Leaf Farms Crunchy Chicken Patties tested positive for the bacteria. The patties are packaged in 30-ounce boxes with 12 breaded patties per box. The boxes have a USDA inspection establishment number of P2375 and production code of 02763. The patties were manufactured by Serenade Foods, Inc., of Milford, Indiana. It is uncertain to what areas the patties were distributed or the quantities involved."If you have any of the packages listed in the recall, please do not eat them," Commissioner Irvin warned. "Eating food contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes can cause listeriosis, a disease that can be fatal to infants, the frail or elderly and persons with chronic disease.""Our inspectors will be looking for these packages when they are checking grocery stores and warehouses and make sure they are removed from the shelves," Commissioner Irvin said. "Consumers who have any of this product should return it to the place of purchase for a refund," said Irvin.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Danone's Q1: four things to learn
- Who will buy Danone's Stonyfield business?
- Column: Why snacking is the new meal
- Nestle Q1 update: four things to learn
- Opinion: Big Food needs to think radically
- Nestle to cut UK confectionery jobs
- PepsiCo affirms full-year target as Q1 hits mark
- Tyson to buy burger-to-entree firm AdvancePierre
- Tyson shops Sara Lee bakery, Kettle and Van's
- Glanbia signs deal on Dairy Ireland stake sale