USA: Listeria contamination possible, Ag commissioner warns
Georgia Commissioner of Agriculture Tommy Irvin is advising Georgians to check their freezers for a brand of chicken patties that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, a bacteria that can potentially cause illness.A routine sample taken by the Georgia Department of Agriculture of Maple Leaf Farms Crunchy Chicken Patties tested positive for the bacteria. The patties are packaged in 30-ounce boxes with 12 breaded patties per box. The boxes have a USDA inspection establishment number of P2375 and production code of 02763. The patties were manufactured by Serenade Foods, Inc., of Milford, Indiana. It is uncertain to what areas the patties were distributed or the quantities involved."If you have any of the packages listed in the recall, please do not eat them," Commissioner Irvin warned. "Eating food contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes can cause listeriosis, a disease that can be fatal to infants, the frail or elderly and persons with chronic disease.""Our inspectors will be looking for these packages when they are checking grocery stores and warehouses and make sure they are removed from the shelves," Commissioner Irvin said. "Consumers who have any of this product should return it to the place of purchase for a refund," said Irvin.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- How Tyson's new CEO plans to grow the meat group
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund