USA: Listeria contamination possible, Ag commissioner warns
Georgia Commissioner of Agriculture Tommy Irvin is advising Georgians to check their freezers for a brand of chicken patties that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, a bacteria that can potentially cause illness.A routine sample taken by the Georgia Department of Agriculture of Maple Leaf Farms Crunchy Chicken Patties tested positive for the bacteria. The patties are packaged in 30-ounce boxes with 12 breaded patties per box. The boxes have a USDA inspection establishment number of P2375 and production code of 02763. The patties were manufactured by Serenade Foods, Inc., of Milford, Indiana. It is uncertain to what areas the patties were distributed or the quantities involved."If you have any of the packages listed in the recall, please do not eat them," Commissioner Irvin warned. "Eating food contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes can cause listeriosis, a disease that can be fatal to infants, the frail or elderly and persons with chronic disease.""Our inspectors will be looking for these packages when they are checking grocery stores and warehouses and make sure they are removed from the shelves," Commissioner Irvin said. "Consumers who have any of this product should return it to the place of purchase for a refund," said Irvin.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Lamb Weston goes it alone: six things to learn
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report