Lithuania aiming for origin labels on dairy imports
Lithuania wants to label dairy imports with place of origin
Lithuania wants to introduce the mandatory labelling of the origin of imported dairy products.
Jolita Martutaityte, chief policy specialist at the Lithuanian ministry of agriculture, told just-food: "Lithuanian consumers have high expectations of seeing a declaration of the country of origin of milk and find it important for dairy to bear labelling which includes the country of origin," she explained.
The dairy product labels will mirror an origin control system that Lithuania has already introduced for honey, meat and wine. The government hopes origin labelling may boost sales of quality products: "Consumers would be willing to pay more for dairy if they could receive information about the origin of the milk," Martutaityte claimed. The Lithuanian government hopes that will especially be the case for domestically-produced dairy products, notably by small producers taking advantage of short food supply chains, boosting rural development.
The European Commission is assessing the proposal to ensure compliance with EU competition rules.
The time-frame for enforcement will not be set until the European Commission takes its final decision on the legislation after the latest draft is submitted. Martutaityte said she was not sure how long this process would take – an implementation timetable will be set after the Commission has sent back its comments.
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report