US: Loblaw Q3 profits up but warns on investment costs
Loblaw announced growth in Q3 but says its investments programme will hit future results
Canadian grocery retailer Loblaw has announced a rise in third-quarter sales and profits but expressed caution over the impact of IT and supply chain investments.
For the third quarter ending 8 October, EBITDA rose 10% over the same period in 2010 to C$639m (US$623.6m), while revenue rose to C$9.2bn, an increase of 2%. Net income was C$236, compared to C$197 in the same three months last year, operating income went from C$421m to C$389m, while the same-store sales growth was 1.3%.
Galen Weston, executive chairman of Loblaw, said the quarter was helped by "continued improvement in execution" but says investments will hit profitability going forward.
He said: "As our infrastructure programme progresses, we expect the related investments to negatively impact operating income."
The nine-month results showed that EBITDA rose from C$1.5bn to C$1.6bn for the same period last year, while operating income rose 4.5% to C$1.07bn. Net income was C$595, up on C%510, while revenue was flat at C$1bn.
Canadian food manufacturer and grocer George Weston has booked a drop in first-quarter adjusted earnings on the back of higher costs at Loblaw....
Canadian grocery retailer Loblaw has booked a drop in first-quarter profits due to higher IT and supply chain costs....
Canadian food manufacturer and grocer George Weston has booked a drop in fourth-quarter earnings, hurt by increased costs at its retail subsidiary Loblaw....
This week, just-food was kept busy with news from the Consumer Analyst Group of New York (CAGNY) conference, held in Florida....
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report