CANADA: Loblaw trials small-format discount store
The 'Box, by nofrills' is a small version of Loblaw's nofrills hard discount banner
Canadian retail giant Loblaw has launched a trial discount small-format store in Calgary in a bid to boost growth in urban areas.
A spokesperson for the retailer told just-food it opened the 10,000 sq ft store a few weeks ago in the "high density, urban location" of Calgary.
"The 'Box, by nofrills' is essentially a small version of our no-frills hard discount banner: a small format hard discount with everyday low prices. It's designed for small locations, offering customers a quick and convenient shopping experience with low prices on fresh food, grocery and general merchandise items, including no name and seasonal merchandise spotlight specials."
The store is different to Loblaw's discount chain of stores, Nofrills, which are typically 25,000sq ft.
Of the new format, the spokesperson said: "Just like Nofrills, it's a low cost operating model.... some distinct elements to this version of nofrills include weekly in-store feature deals that are promoted in-store, and in most every aisle, customers will see highlighted dollar items."
The spokesperson said Loblaw was "pleased" with the performance of the outlet, and has had "positive customer feedback about the store, its offers and its price proposition".
However, the spokesperson could not provide details on Loblaw's plans for the format.
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- German dairy group DMK names Ingo Mueller new CEO
- Brexit - UK food trade body issues warning
- Europe's food firms slam French origin labels plan
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights