CANADA: Loblaw trials small-format discount store
The 'Box, by nofrills' is a small version of Loblaw's nofrills hard discount banner
Canadian retail giant Loblaw has launched a trial discount small-format store in Calgary in a bid to boost growth in urban areas.
A spokesperson for the retailer told just-food it opened the 10,000 sq ft store a few weeks ago in the "high density, urban location" of Calgary.
"The 'Box, by nofrills' is essentially a small version of our no-frills hard discount banner: a small format hard discount with everyday low prices. It's designed for small locations, offering customers a quick and convenient shopping experience with low prices on fresh food, grocery and general merchandise items, including no name and seasonal merchandise spotlight specials."
The store is different to Loblaw's discount chain of stores, Nofrills, which are typically 25,000sq ft.
Of the new format, the spokesperson said: "Just like Nofrills, it's a low cost operating model.... some distinct elements to this version of nofrills include weekly in-store feature deals that are promoted in-store, and in most every aisle, customers will see highlighted dollar items."
The spokesperson said Loblaw was "pleased" with the performance of the outlet, and has had "positive customer feedback about the store, its offers and its price proposition".
However, the spokesperson could not provide details on Loblaw's plans for the format.
This report provides the results for the Dairy market in the US from Canadean’s unique, highly detailed study of consumers’ Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) consumption habits, and forms part of an overa...
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019