INDIA: Lotte to build another Choco Pie plant
Lotte Confectionery is to set up a new plant in India to manufacture Choco Pie chocolate covered cream-filled biscuits, the South Korean company's most popular snack brand in the country.
The new US$50m unit in Rothak in the state of Haryana will be ready by February 2015 and will supplement production from Lotte's existing plants near Chennai and Nellikuppam in southern India. Lotte also sources products from three dedicated sub-contractor plants.
"Our sales are rising and during big festival sessions there used to be shortages," an official at local subsidiary Lotte India Corporation in New Delhi told just-food. "There will also be big savings on transportation costs as the new unit will take care of the north and eastern Indian markets."
Mostly local raw materials go into Choco Pie, though some imported ingredients are included, the official said. The product is sold in pack sizes of two, six, 12 and 20 pieces and is the favourite Lotte snack among children.
The plant could be expanded in future to manufacture Lotte confectionery products including Coffy Bite, Lacto King, Caramilk and Eclairs as well as BooProo gum, the official said. "More than 60% of the land at the new site is kept vacant for future expansion," the official explained.
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- How could a TTIP affect the food industry?
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Kellogg to invest in "next-generation innovation"
- PepsiCo "engaging" with Indofood on child labour
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- R&R Ice Cream names Daniel Martinez new CFO
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights