USA: Low cholesterol eggs get US patents
Two unconnected entities, Martin Jackeschky of Kiel, Germany (6177120) and Purdue Research Foundation, of West Lafayette, Indiana (6177121) have been awarded separate patents for their versions of Low Cholesterol Eggs. Besides these, Warner-Lambert Company is also active in this field.
- A dietetic, chloresterol-reduced whole egg or egg yolk product and its method of preparation in which the whole egg or the yolk is dehydrated, a grain size of about 150µ to about 300µ is formed, the grains are suspended in a low-cholesterol liquid food oils, the cholesterol is dispersed into the liquid food oil, and the cholesterol enhanced liquid food oil is removed, wherein the grain size is maintained throughout the chloresterol reduction process.
This is an improvement over the same inventor's earlier US Patent 5780095 of 1998.
First of 14 Claims:
- A dietetic, cholesterol-reduced and essential vegetal fatty acid enriched whole egg or egg yolk product, wherein said whole egg or egg yolk product is prepared by removing cholesterol and lipids from the yolk by:
a) dehydrating the whole egg or yolk substance by spray drying;
b) forming a grain size of about 150µ to about 300µ;
c) suspending the spray dried egg substance in a liquid food oil or a mixture of liquid food oils while maintaining the grain size, wherein said liquid food oil contains at least one essential vegetal fatty acid;
d) dispersing the cholesterol and lipid fraction from the spray dried egg substance in the liquid food oil while maintaining the grain size; and
e) removing the cholesterol and lipid fraction enhanced liquid food oil while retaining said essential vegetal fatty acid in said egg product so that egg product is enriched in said essential vegetal fatty acid.
- An animal food composition effective in reducing the amount of cholesterol in an egg including an animal food and an HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor, preferably a statin, is described. A method of reducing the amount of cholesterol in an egg by administering to an egg-laying animal an amount of a cholesterol-reducing component effective in reducing the amount of cholesterol in said egg and the eggs produced are also described.
First of 12 Claims:
An animal feed composition effective in reducing the amount of cholesterol in an egg, comprising an oviparous vertebrate animal food and a cholesterol-reducing component selected from the group consisting of:
- a. a compound of the formula: [Figure]
b. the corresponding dihydroxy acid of the formula: [Figure]
c. a pharmaceutically acceptable salt of said dihydroxy acid.
By Navroz Havewala, just-food.com correspondent
- 2017: three major drivers of M&A strategy
- Comment: Premier has more to ponder than Brexit
- The food market in 2017 - consumer trends and M&A
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- Food market in 2017: need-to-know US trends
- Premier Foods issues profit warning
- Nestle mum on Mead Johnson takeover talk
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- Mondelez sells Vegemite to Bega
- Kellogg to slash 250 jobs